Troels Krarup Hansen (photo: Pia Crone Madsen, Aarhus University Hospital).
Troels Krarup Hansen, specialist in internal medicine, endocrinology, at Aarhus University Hospital and clinical professor in diabetes and diabetes complications and Aarhus University is appointed the new CEO of Steno Diabetes Center Aarhus.
The task of Troels Krarup Hansen is to establish Steno Diabetes Center Aarhus (SDCA), as a leading center of excellence in diabetes treatment and research at Aarhus University Hospital. He is already highly involved in this task being a clinical advisor in the project organisation for SDCA.
In the autumn 2017, Central Denmark Region and the Novo Nordisk Foundation entered into a longterm mutually binding collaboration to strengthen the diabetes effort in and outside Central Denmark Region.
Newly built diabetes center
As a part of this agreement, the Novo Nordisk Foundation has donated approx. 1.4 billion DKK to new initiatives within the field of diabetes and a new diabetes center to be located at Aarhus University Hospital. SDCA will contribute to collaboration, treatment, prevention, research and education in Central Denmark Region.
- There is no doubt that Troels Krarup Hansen is the right person to be the CEO at SDCA. He has both knowledge and energy and we are pleased that Troels Krarup Hansen will lead the development of SDCA, says Ole Thomsen, Head of Corporate Management, Central Denmark Region.
Visions in the future diabetes efforts
Troels Krarup Hansen is excited about the challenge and he sees it as a unique opportunity to contribute to fulfilling both private and public visions for the future efforts in diabetes.
- This task matches my personal ambitions as a doctor to make a difference for the individual patient. On a larger scale, I am focused on SDCA leading the way and bridging the gap between research, clinical practice and patients both regionally, nationally and internationally, says Troels Krarup Hansen.
The patient’s needs
The future CEO of SDCA thinks that future healthcare is about knowing and thus meeting the needs of each individual patient.
- The efforts in diabetes must be based on real and direct involvement of users and contribute to break down the barriers between sectors. In this way the patient will experience one coherent treatment system, says Troels Krarup Hansen
Troels Krarup Hansen is 50 years old, lives in Aarhus and is currently a consultant at Department of Endocrinology and Internal Medicine at Aarhus University Hospital and professor at Aarhus University. He will start in his new job at 1 January 2018.
The new SDCA is expected to relocate into new research facilities at Aarhus University Hospital in the middle of 2022.
Steno Diabetes Center Aarhus - Summary in English
- Troels Krarup Hansen, Specialist in internal medicine, endocrinology, Tel.: +45 6167 9616
- Ole Thomsen, Head of Corporate Management, Central Denmark Region, Tel.: +45 2146 9807
- Contact information for all members of the Regional Council, Central Denmark Region at www.rm.dk/politik/regionsradsmedlemmer