The Department Managements for the 10 treatment areas who won an award for being number one in their field (photo: Michael Harder, Aarhus University Hospital).
Aarhus University Hospital is appointed Denmark’s best hospital 2018 by the independent specialist newspaper of healthcare sector news ”Dagens Medicin”. The hospital wins because of the high quality in patient treatment.
For the eleventh year running, Aarhus University Hospital is appointed Denmark’s best hospital. The specialist newspaper ”Dagens Medicin” has appointed Aarhus University Hospital as the best in their competition to become Denmark’s best hospital.
Aarhus University Hospital has won in the category of university hospitals, comprising the largest hospitals in Denmark. In this category, Aarhus University Hospital is number 1, Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen is number 2, Odense University Hospital is number 3 and Aalborg University Hospital is number 4.
Congratulations to Aarhus University Hospital
Chairman of the Regional Council in Central Denmark Region, Anders Kühnau, is impressed by Aarhus University Hospital.
- The staff at the hospital makes a huge effort every day for patients and relatives. I have a deep respect for their work and I would like to congratulate the hospital on this achievement, says Anders Kühnau.
Winning against the odds
Poul Blaabjerg, CEO at Aarhus University Hospital is happy that the hospital has been able to win again this year.
- Basically, we have a very high quality in our patient treatment. It is admirable that our staff has been able to achieve this in a time with tight budgets and problems related to the relocation into the new hospital facilities, which have had a considerable impact on the everyday life of each employee, says Poul Blaabjerg.
- We owe this achievement to our staff – our competent professionals. They have managed to maintain the professionalism and commitment that Aarhus University Hospital is known for.
Quality of treatment is most important
Aarhus University Hospital is number 1 in 10 of the 70 treatments and examinations which are a part of the competition. Moreover, the hospital has received a number of second and third places.
”Dagens Medicin” has analysed all accessible national data on quality of treatment at the Danish hospitals. Data from a Danish national survey on patient experiences are also included. In this survey patients are asked to report how satisfied they were with their visit to the hospital.
However, the most important aspect when deciding about the best hospital in Denmark is quality of treatment; this is weighted with 90% while patient satisfaction is weighted with 10%.
Aarhus University Hospital is number 1 in the category of large hospitals – both concerning quality of treatment and patient satisfaction.
Best in 10 areas of treatment
Aarhus University Hospital is number 1 in the following 10 areas of treatment:
- Geriatrics (diseases in the elderly population)
- Heart failure
- Perforated ulcer
- Cancer in the brain
- Sarcoma (cancer that arises in connective tissue and bones)
- Melanoma (pathology)
- Spinal arthritis
- Lung cancer (surgery)
- Bladder cancer (surgery)
- Testicular cancer (surgery)