Rules for residence

The rules for residency, work and licensing depend on your citizenship. There are different rules whether you come from Scandinavia, EU/EEA and Switzerland or other countries.

For general information and requirements for working in Denmark please visit the Danish government website for international recruitment -

Employee requirements

Most employees will need:

  • Authorisation
    If you as a foreigner apply for a job at Aarhus University Hospital as e.g. a medical doctor, a nurse, an occupational therapist, a physiotherapists or a radiographer you will need to have a Danish authorisation. You can find information and application forms at the Danish Health and Medicines Authority
  • Certificate of registration/residence card or residence and work permits from the Danish Immigration Service
    If you wish to apply for a Danish residence and work permit, the application process differs depending on whether you are applying as an employee, or as a jobseeker. You can find application forms and read more at the official site for foreigners and integration
  • Danish language courses
    It is important that you speak some Danish for most positions at Aarhus University Hospital. Read more at:

Short-term stays

In most cases, foreign nationals need to have a residence and work permit before they can begin work. In certain cases however, foreign nationals can perform work-related activities while in Denmark on a visa, without holding a residence and work permit.

If your stay is shorter than three months, you are allowed to perform certain types of work-related activities even if you do not have a residence and work permit. Such activities include teaching or attending a course or participating in meetings, negotiations, briefings and training.

You can find further information about conditions and how to a apply on the official site for foreigners and integration