The department has for the last 15 years acquired specialised knowledge within radiography and MRI of knee disorders. This has resulted in three PhD theses in addition to international publications, including a description of a sensitive method to monitor bone marrow oedematous changes over time to be used as an imaging biomarker.
The focus is currently on two main areas:
- Correlation of MR findings with histopathological changes to detect patogenetic features and
- MR differentiation between osteoarthritis and seronegative psoriatic changes.
These studies are performed in collaboration with Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Department of Rheumatology, Silkeborg Regional Hospital, as well as Department of Pathology, AUH, and Department of Forensic Medicine, Aarhus University.
- Nielsen FK, Boesen M, Jurik AG, Bliddal H, Nybing JD, Ellegaard K, Bartholdy C, Bandak E, Henriksen M. The effect of intra-articular glucocorticosteroids and exercise on symptoms and bone marrow lesions in knee osteoarthritis: a secondary analysis of results from a randomized controlled trial. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2018 Jul;26(7):895-902. doi: 10.1016/j.joca.2018.02.900. Epub 2018 Mar 2. PMID: 29499289.
- Nielsen FK, Egund N, Jørgensen A, Jurik AG. Risk factors for joint replacement in knee osteoarthritis; a 15-year follow-up study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017 Dec 4;18(1):510. doi: 10.1186/s12891-017-1871-z. PMID: 29202806; PMCID: PMC5715644.
- Nielsen FK, Egund N, Jørgensen A, Peters DA, Jurik AG. Assessment of subchondral bone marrow lesions in knee osteoarthritis by MRI: a comparison of fluid sensitive and contrast enhanced sequences. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016 Nov 16;17(1):479. doi: 10.1186/s12891-016-1336-9. PMID: 27852298; PMCID: PMC5112734.
- Nielsen FK, Egund N, Peters D, Jurik AG. Measurement of bone marrow lesions by MR imaging in knee osteoarthritis using quantitative segmentation methods—a reliability and sensitivity to change analysis. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014 Dec 20;15:447. doi: 10.1186/1471-2474-15-447. PMID: 25528153; PMCID: PMC4364568.
Niels Egund, DMSc, Professor Emeritus, Department of Radiology, AUH: email@example.com
Flemming Secher Kromann Nielsen, MD, PhD, Department of Radiology, Silkeborg Regional Hospital: firstname.lastname@example.org
Anne Grethe Jurik, MD, DMSc, Professor, Consultant Radiologist, Department of Radiology, AUH: email@example.com
Jesper Blegvad-Nissen, MD, Department of Rheumatology, Silkeborg Regional Hospital: firstname.lastname@example.org
David Peters, MSc: David.Peters@stab.rm.dk
Flemming Brandt Sørensen, MD, DMSc, Professor, Department of Pathology: FLSOER@rm.dk
Lene Warner Boel, MD, PhD, Department of Forensic Medicine, Aarhus University: email@example.com
Rene Østgård, MD, PhD, Department of Rheumatology, Silkeborg Regional Hospital: firstname.lastname@example.org